Wednesday, March 18, 2015

New Lone Star



I just realized recently that I have been working on a series for years, a series I did not even know I had started. It is something I have had in mind for decades and it seems to circle around and whack me in the head every once in a while. After I took this Lone Star out of the frame last week, I realized I was building up a group of quilts based on the idea that I could take the name of a traditional quilt pattern and come up with my own image for it. Years ago I made this Grandmother's Flower garden:



All its flowers are in the quilting. Just last fall I finished this New York Beauty:


And a couple of days ago I got this Job's Tears off my design wall and onto the Handi Quilter frame for quilting. 


I have some ideas about the next few in the series. But now I have to quilt this new one. I better get to work. 



5 comments:

  1. Love Lone Star, and love the idea of completely fresh designs with vintage inspiration in mind. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, your work continues to surprise and amaze me. I'm studying art quilt design with Elizabeth Barton; this month our theme is "line" -- and your bias tape pieces have that concept nailed. Thanks for all you do and share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool to "contemporize" traditional designs. You'll never run out of inspiration! Hope you'll share how you choose to quilt Job's Tears.

    ReplyDelete